The Mekong Migration Network is looking for a ADVOCACY AND BUILDING CAPACITY OFFICER to join our team. Please see the job announcement below.
Deadline for application: 31 July 2016
Reports to: MMN Regional Coordinator
Job location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Salary and Benefits: Local NGO rate subject to qualifications and experience.
Start Date: 15 August 2016
Contract Duration: One year contract (subject to 119 days probation at the beginning of contract); renewable depending on work performance.
Overview of the Mekong Migration Network
MMN is a sub-regional network of civil society organizations and research institutes working on migration issues in Mekong countries. MMN’s joint areas of work include advocacy, information monitoring, research, capacity building and networking. Please see www.mekongmigration.org for more information about MMN.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Capacity Building (Focus especially on Burma/Myanmar)
- Coordinate the implementation of capacity building activities for migrants’ rights advocates in Burma/Myanmar
- Assist the implementation of capacity building activities in the Mekong.
- Research and advocacy projects
- Carry out research on migration policies in Burma/Myanmar and ensure MMN has up-to-date information
- Act as the communication point to coordinate with MMN members and other partners in Burma/Myanmar for various projects
- Assist in carrying out research and advocacy work in Myanmar.
- Coordination and management of MMN partnerships and contacts
- Update MMN members’ contacts and membership statuses to ensure smooth communication with members
- Information Monitoring and Dissemination
- Collate and circulate information regarding migration in the Mekong
- Alert MMN members and the Secretariat when there are urgent issues to which MMN should respond, to enable MMN to carry out timely advocacy work
- MMN Webpage and Social Media
- Update the MMN website and other social media tools
- Pro-actively develop the MMN webpage and social media presence to maximize their usefulness as a tool for advocacy
- Update MMN’s online resources including “Legally Binding” (summary of national labour laws in the Mekong countries) and “Online Annotated Bibliography”
- Translate materials between Burmese and English when necessary
- Provide Burmese-English interpretation in MMN meetings and training programs
- Other tasks
- as assigned
S/he will work as a part of the small multi-cultural team and report directly to the Regional Coordinator. As a sub-regional network, the job involves frequent travel.
Qualifications and Experience
*Relevant degree or equivalent experience
*Fluency and strong written skills in English and Burmese
*Strong public speaking skills in English and Burmese
*Strong commitment to and understanding of migration issues in Mekong countries
*Good understanding of the country context for Burma/Myanmar
*Experience working on issues relating to human rights, migration, gender or development
*Ability to work independently and as part of a small team
*Ability to work effectively under pressure and meet deadlines
*Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
*Excellent attention to detail
*Proven computer literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel & PowerPoint)
*Commitment to MMN’s approach and values
*Ability to travel
*Some experience on website and data management
*Experience working with social media (Twitter, Facebook etc.)
*Experience of national and regional advocacy
For those interested, please email your CV and a cover letter along with a list of two referees’ contact details and a writing sample in English for the attention of MMN Regional Coordinator, Ms. Reiko Harima at email@example.com by 31 July 2016. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Short listed candidates will also be asked to submit a sample Burmese-English translation. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.